Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Subtitles

Subtitles Post question about BS.Player and subtitles (srt sub ssa mkv) here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12th October 2010
BS.Player Newbie

moonknight is on a distinguished road
Default Position subtitles under image

I did a search but I couldn't find the answer for this. I'm trying to move the subtitles so that it is under the image of the video. In other words I want it in the bottom black bar. I tried pressing Shift+down, but it won't let me go any further the image.

Thanks
Old 12th October 2010
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Options -> preferences -> subtitles -> enable drawing of subtitles under image .....
Old 17th October 2010
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

adicoto refers to the option "Enable drawing subtitles under image with EVR renderer"
under (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles [Subtitle properties].
This - of course - only applies if you're using EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer) (default under Vista and Win7).

To make this reply more general in case you're not using EVR and also for the possible benefit of other users, I add some other options concerning subtitles which may be of interest:

(In the same window as the one mentioned above)
Is perhaps the box "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface" selected?
If so, deselect/uncheck it.
(If you have "Draw subtitles to overlay" enabled, subtitles can only be drawn on overlay = on the video picture, and not below.)

In connection with "overlay": what is selected as "Rendering mode" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [Video rendering]?

Are you using new subtitle engine or old?
(See the box "Use new subtitle parser/renderer" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles [Subtitle properties].)

Finally there always still is the "Expand picture to"-option
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [Video rendering]
(Option at bottom/right)
See this post (and the thread it is in) for some clarifications.

P.S.:
Always, I do mean always, mention version and build-number of your BS.Player!
Also it may very well be relevant to know which OS and videocard you're using.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 17th October 2010
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Old subtitle engine, draw subtitles on overlay activated, subtiles under video doesn't work only in VMR7, VMR renderless and VMR9 (at least on my computer).
Nwe subtitle renderer, draw subtitles under video activated, overlay default, VMR7, EVR doesn't work (at all), VMR 9 renderless= no subtitles,
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Newbie

scoutjohny is on a distinguished road

Yo friends. I'm using bsplayer 2.56, build 1043 and i had the same problem (i wanted for the subs to be below the picture) and i think i've solved the problem using your tips.
This is what i've done:
1) Options>Preferences>Subtitles - i disabled "Draw Subtitles to overlay"
2) Options>Preferences>Video>Video rendering - Set rendering to EVR (it enabled me to have picture with sound in win 7 :P)
I didn't mess with extended picture because i've noticed that subs in that case leave trace from rendering in the black area and i don't want that!
Allso, i left the old subtite engine ("use new subtitle parser/rendered" unchecked)!

So, basically, i only disabled "Draw Subtitles to overlay" and everything was as it should be (or as i'm used to :P). I think this will help others with the same issue.
Cheers
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutjohny View Post
....I think this will help others with the same issue....
Unfortunately "the same issue" moreoften isn't actually the same issue, as it depends on several other details such as (i.a. but not restricted to) the OS used, the video hardware and its drivers and the rendering mode used. That's why we mention more options/possibilities.

(P.S.: The use of new subtitle engine is preferred for recent BS.Player-versions)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 1st December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

I get that and i just wanted to specify some of my comp specs:
Windows 7 x86, GF 8600 GT (253 MB DDR3), 2GB of DDR1 RAM
and BS Player PRO 2.56, build 1043.

I initially had problems with having sound but no picture, but render type changed that (i set EVR :P). So, above mentioned solution is for my OS (Windows 7 x86).

Cheers

Edit: I did find something odd: when old type of sub engine is active (when "use new subtitle parser/rendered" is disabled) the subs stay on screen until new line replaces them!
Activating new sub render type corrected this "fault" :P (corrected to some extent. Apparently subs "stick around" well after their expiry time, until they are replaced with a new line. Quick switching to window mode than again to full screen helps, but only temporarily)

Last edited by scoutjohny; 1st December 2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added new facts
Old 1st December 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
...Edit: I did find something odd: when old type of sub engine is active (when "use new subtitle parser/rendered" is disabled) the subs stay on screen until new line replaces them!
Activating new sub render type corrected this "fault"...
Nothing new here! (Note this also depends on the individual users' other settings.) Already mentioned in several posts in this forum. In fact that's also why I mentioned "The use of new subtitle engine is preferred for recent BS.Player-versions".
Old 1st December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Activating new sub render type corrected this "fault" :P (corrected to some extent. Apparently subs "stick around" well after their expiry time, until they are replaced with a new line. Quick switching to window mode than again to full screen helps, but only temporarily)
To give you the full perspective, i'm uploading screen captures of my settings in video render and subtitles. If you have any idea how to correct that "fault", i'm all ears :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subtitle Properties.jpg (101.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Video Rendering.jpg (85.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 1st December 2010
BS.Player Master

sample subtitle file?
O and please update BS.Player (new version just published).
Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Just upgraded to 2.57 build 1048. Here are some sample sub. It is for Bourne Ultimatum (serbian) and i have the 600 MB .mkv version :P
I'll test it on this new build and keep you posted!

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Bourne Ultimatum.zip (17.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

To be honest, I'm impressed! In 2.57 build 1048 the subs behave as they have in Windows XP and they are below the picture. They are switching as they should (they aren't waiting for the next line as they did in build 1043)!

YYeeeeeppppeeeeeeeee!

I'm so happy now :P

Anyway thanks bros!

Cheers!

P.S.: My settings are the same as in BS Player 2.56 build 1043 (as in pics in one of my previous posts)!
Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Master

My new build is 1049 (why is yours 1048)?
Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Lol, i just checked and i do have build 1049 :P (mistyped it in my last post :))

Everything is fine now

Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Master

OK
Old 5th July 2011
BS.Player Newbie

sweetdeath is on a distinguished road

hey guys! i have the same problem but i'm using an old version of bsplayer. it's bsplayer pro 2.1 and there is no EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer) Can anyone please help me with the same problem?
Old 5th July 2011
BS.Player Master

Is your PC's OS a secret? Sorry, but "bsplayer pro 2.1", that's indeed quite an old version 2 you're talking about (July 2006?), which I don't have installed on my PC any more. So maybe update? Otherwise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
adicoto refers to the option "Enable drawing subtitles under image with EVR renderer"
under (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles [Subtitle properties].
This - of course - only applies if you're using EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer) (default under Vista and Win7).

To make this reply more general in case you're not using EVR and also for the possible benefit of other users, I add some other options concerning subtitles which may be of interest:

(In the same window as the one mentioned above)
Is perhaps the box "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface" selected?
If so, deselect/uncheck it.
(If you have "Draw subtitles to overlay" enabled, subtitles can only be drawn on overlay = on the video picture, and not below.)

In connection with "overlay": what is selected as "Rendering mode" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [Video rendering]?

Are you using new subtitle engine or old?
(See the box "Use new subtitle parser/renderer" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Subtitles [Subtitle properties].)

Finally there always still is the "Expand picture to"-option
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Video > [Video rendering]
(Option at bottom/right)
See this post (and the thread it is in) for some clarifications.

P.S.:
Always, I do mean always, mention version and build-number of your BS.Player!
Also it may very well be relevant to know which OS and videocard you're using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
With respect to the option "Extend picture to" (under Preferences > Video > [Video Rendering]) I already indicated that I think the 576 line option has to do with 576 line interlace PAL and the 480 line option with the 480 line interlace NTSC display.
Further, as long as you're really "extending" the picture (which depends on the original (real) ratio of the movie vs the screenratio of 4:3), it works.
E.g. if in full screen mode the background is shown as black bars at top and bottom of a video.
By "extending" you can then add similar black bars to the picture itself so that the black bars shown are in fact no longer shown as 'visible' part of the background, but they have become part of the movie-picture itself shown in front of the background.

Tags
image, position, subtitles