Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th June 2003
Rhoddlet
BS.Guest

Default Screen capture in Original Size only

Hey,

A question about the screen capture option that's available in BSPlayer.

Although the capture button works fine when I do the "capture original size" option, whenever I try to do the "capture 'as you see it'" option, I end up with a JPG of the "original" size. I've tried redefining the keys; I've tried making the keys be the same. What am I doing worng?
Old 31st July 2003
BS.Player Newbie

evanmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to fix Screen Capture "What you See"

I have the same problem, and I found that you have to turn off overlay to get this to work. I'm not sure whether it affects the quality, performance, or both of the video by turning this feature off, but it seems to be the only way to take screen captures of varying sizes.

There are some oddities that appear when you turn off overlay. One time BSplayer froze on me when taking a WYS capture in 1024X768 full screen mode. It also appears that, even though Overlay mode is unchecked in the options, you still have to have it set in Mode 1 or else it won't read AVI files.
Old 3rd January 2007
BS.player Regular User

gmeades is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem still occurs in version 2.10 build 939 [Jan 2007]

However, there no longer seems to be an option to turn off the 'overlay' capture. Anyone know how to get BS Pro version 2.10 939 to capture jpg's in full screen mode...? Currently whether you press "P" or "Shift + P" they both save to about a 3" x 5" picture size. Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2007
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess is that with overlay BSPlayer itself is not producing the scaled image and could not therefore save it to disk. If for any reason you have many screen captures in odd non-square pixel dimensions, you can batch resample them using IrfanView, XnView or other tools.
Old 3rd January 2007
BS.player Regular User

So, your solution is that BS Player doesn't work as designed and to use some other program to 'resample' any images BS Player has incorrectly saved to the size I desire....??? Doesn't sound like a solution at all as far as correcting the problem with BS Player. Actually, what you are suggesting is much more what would be referred to as a 'workaround' by fudging bad BS Player saves with other programs. Not exactly the kind of response I, or anyone else, was looking for.

If anyone knows how to get BS Player to behave properly and save 'as appears on screen', I would be interested in hearing how to fix the player itself, so it captures what's on the screen properly, as it's instructions explain it was designed to do. Thanks.
Old 5th January 2007
BS.Player Power User

I'm sorry if I was not able to help you. I am actually not from BS tech support. My intention from the start was to provide a workaround.
Old 5th January 2007
BS.player Regular User

I understand... and while I can appreciate the attempt... I would really like to see someone familiar with the code respond and provide a proper fix... whether through providing proper configuration instructions, or via a patch, or even by releasing a new build that finally resolves this problem which has plagued this product for a number of years now, judging from the abnormally high number of posts throughout the archive all complaining and reporting on this very same issue.

In addition to the apparent lack of support for a problem which was evident almost universally it appears, for some reason, the developers of the product seem to have removed some features which were previously available which had been 'suggested' as possible solutions in the archives. so even those are not available to anyone who downloads and installs the product and ends up with the same problem which so many people have reported consistently over the life of this product.

It appears that Quality Assurance testing has never been performed properly on the product prior to it's release, and even after its release, the developers have not provided adequate support... and judging by this current lack of response, apparently they can't be bothered.

This provides the answer to the question I originally had when I heard about the product and it's features regarding why it's never been written up in the various computer magazines that I've subscribed to over the years or on any of the download sites that I've frequented in the past. Of course, I may simply have missed it, if in fact the product had received that kind of exposure at all, sure... but my opinion at this time is that this is a not-ready-for-prime-time product which has not been developed, tested, and debugged properly, and it does not have the support necessary to ensure the kind of satisfactory user experience necessary to bring a product to the larger world wide marketplace.

There are also problems with the skins, if you haven't noticed. What I'm referring to is if you change the skins, you lose various features... such as the menu... leaving users without a means to 'open' the files they want to view. How does one include nicities like skins, limited as they are, and not notice they have disabled your product...? Do you see what I'm saying....?

So, what I'm looking for is a fix, which means a response from the developer/staff, documentation on configuration and use to be updated and included, skins to be fixed so as to include all the functionality of the original interface, and some kind of explanation as to why this problem has been reported all the way back to something like build 1.00 and has still not been addressed.

Thats all...
Old 6th January 2007
BS.Player Power User

Hey, BSTeam!

You liked to pretend being a big evil corporation. Now you got a real "customer". I hope you'll find a common language. :lol:

Could it be possible to resample the single frame to be captured in software, even if overlay is being used, – with the same parameters you configure the overlay surface (width and height)?
Old 6th January 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeades
There are also problems with the skins, if you haven't noticed. What I'm referring to is if you change the skins, you lose various features... such as the menu... leaving users without a means to 'open' the files they want to view. How does one include nicities like skins, limited as they are, and not notice they have disabled your product...? Do you see what I'm saying....?
To be frank .... no, at least not with respect to your remark re skins that cause you to "loose various features". I would consider that total nonsense, incorrect/unjustified and out of topic with respect to the point you're trying to make. (It only proves you've really very very limited knowledge of BSPlayer's features. By bringing this up as an example you're only weakening your real issue.)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 6th January 2007
BS.player Regular User

Just an FYI... I regularly capture full screen images in Media Player and with DivX Player (does better full screen rendering than Media Player), both of which supposedly use the 'overlay' process in their rendering.

So, the 'overlay' explanation seems to be a flawed response, as far as 'black' images being captured...okay?

Secondly, the BS Player is advertised to 1) reliably capture full screen images in their original full screen size 2) to be a 'one program solution', able to capture the images it renders on the screen, rather than having to rely on two separate programs - one for rendering, and another for capturing.

The product should meet it's marketing claims, and have it's bugs fixed if it is found to not work properly, as is clearly the case here and has been for a number of years, looking back through the archives in the course of the past couple days.

If the product cannot meet its advertised claims, with users regularly reporting features that do not work properly, then the second solution -if fixing the product is beyond the ability of the developer - is to remove the claims from the feature list, and stop what amounts to false advertising in order to make the product appear to be able to fill a need in the market which it actually does not. In other arenas, such as retail sales, this would be referred to and clearly understood as 'false advertsing'.

It's very simple - Either fix the product, or stop making claims that it has features that will reliably perform in a manner which it has consistently been found not to do.
Old 6th January 2007
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
To be frank .... no, at least not with respect to your remark re skins that cause you to "loose various features". I would consider that total nonsense, incorrect/unjustified and out of topic with respect to the point you're trying to make. (It only proves you've really very very limited knowledge of BSPlayer's features. By bringing this up as an example you're only weakening your real issue.)
Would you be so kind then, as to load up the "Bat Lite" skin, and tell me where the 'menu' is to be found...? As I have placed my cursor all over this skin and have yet to find it.

Secondly, your remark about 'proving' limited knowledge is an indication of your attempt to be disparaging and insulting. It would be much more helpful for all parties involved if you would refrain from such attempts to be insulting in the future, and try to attempt a more professional manner in your response. Obviously users who post on the forum have a 'limited knowledge' of the product, hence their using the forum to ask questions and report problems. Such remarks do not reflect well on the company, you should realize.

I would appreciate any helpful and informative information which you may be able to offer as far as providing a solution to the items brought up. But please, keep the insults and personal references to yourself.
Old 6th January 2007
BS.player Regular User

For instance, it would have been much more helpful and seen as a kind gesture had you mentioned that only the "base" skin has a 'menu' tab which appears above the interface. No other skin has this tab, however, the tab is actually redundant, as 'right-clicking on any skins interface will bring up the same menu'... as I've just discovered.

This was not intuitive, as I had gotten used to using the 'menu' tab on the "Base" skin after a few days, and had expected all skins to include the same features and to operate in a similar manner.

As you can see, people do not post to cause you any personal grief, my friend, or to take away from the usefulness of the product. They post to find solutions, and so that information is made available to others who may experience the same difficulties and are seeking similar solutions. This is the reason for a forum itself, and if done properly, is very valuable to the people using and attempting to learn the product, as well as being an opportunity for the company to demonstrate it's supportiveness and willingness to provide care and support to it's customers. It also serves to provide feedback to the company for product improvement, and to demonstrate the companies honest desire to provide a quality product when solutions, and updates which address various fixes are announced.

This is really what customers are hoping to find when they come to a forum such as this. I hope this bit of explanation is helpful and will allow you to offer the kind of help and assistance that will reflect well on both you and the product as you attempt to assist others in the future.
Old 6th January 2007
BS.Player Master

Just FYI: I'm just another user like you. Maybe I've only been around a bit longer on the BSPlayer's scene. I personally have never used MENU-button but always right-click. (Such a button wasn't even included in previous BSPlayer's versions.) In fact in almost every post where I point fellow-users to a specific item of BSPlayer's features I start with
"(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > ....etc".

As it is one of BSPlayer's really well known basic features, most other users who - like me - also try to help their fellow users don't even mention it. You didn't ask anything with respect to skins, but instead just boldly "concluded" that skins disabled BSPlayer. If you're seeking solutions for a problem as an evidently rather new and unexperienced user (and if you're offended by such qualification and consider that to be insulting, I really consider that your problem as I cannot see any reason for such feeling: we all started that way!) I would personally indeed ask more questions and refrain from making bold statements. So I don't take anything back from what I said earlier and I also reiterate that by bringing this up as an example you were only weakening your real issue, where you do indeed have a valid point! (That's also why I meanwhile moved this topic to the "bugs-section" of the forum.)

To further respond to your post: as I don't actually ever use menu-button I personally don't know if BASE-skin is the only skin having this button also because there really are way too many skins for me to try if your statement to that effect is indeed correct or not. But then again, it is your statement and not mine. So I don't have to justify or confirm it. In fact the creators of the skins (i.e. fellow BSPlayer-users) decide for themselves what of the available buttons/features they wish to include or not to include in the skins they create.

Finally, whereas this forum is made available by BSPlayer's team and whereas it is also frequently "visited" by BSPlayer's team-member(s) (at least ico-man shows his "face" on a regular basis), in practice this forum (as you will most probably meanwhile have understood) is actually a forum for users by users. It is mainly intended for BSPlayer's free-version users as in principle no support is given by BSPlayer's team to free users (whereas purchasers of BSPlayer's Pro hold an officially obtained registration code and are indeed entitled to obtain direct technical e-mail support from BSPlayer-team itself). Are you a free-version-user or an official Pro-version-customer?

P.S.: Did you meanwhile perhaps happen to read my Help2Help-post?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 6th January 2007
BS.player Regular User

You're quite the arrogant fellow, aren't you....

I would suggest you read the posts once again...
carefully, this time, before posting more of your pedantic statements...
You'll find I stated the version which I own...

and once again, if you cannot provide any assistance with fixing the problem, then back off... as your posts are simply a waste of my, and everyone elses, time... misstating and misquoting what I have written does no one any good...

I'm looking for solutions, not insults... or do you not understand that as well...?

...and thank you for the clarification that you are not staff...
Old 6th January 2007
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

BSPlayer 2.12 build 941 PRO. None of the rendering method can get me a "what you see" screen capture. As my personal oppinion, you shouldn't mess those settings to get a good capture. It's BSPlayer's job to do that thing as it's a stated feature. But at least in here isn't working. I am not using this feature as I don't find any utility for me, but just tested to see the truth. As I consider my computer to be a well ballanced one with all requiered codecs, updated drivers and so I think this could be considered a bug.
I recall testing also this feature, after an old, old post (some 12 month ago or so) and had the same problem then. Maybe it's an old bug and thus skipped to be solved in the releases that followed. Or maybe there are too few complains to be on the first positions on the TODO list of BSPlayer's team.

As for PRO users who search for help in here...as this forum is hosted by BSPlayer's site, I don't think someone who acces it can't believe that this is a USERS forum and that no help is given here by BSPlayer's staff. I think it will be a good ideea to put a large banner under the header to state "No proffesional help will be given in here" so anybody who enter this forum should know that from the beginning.
Old 7th January 2007
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeades
You're quite the arrogant fellow, aren't you....

I would suggest you read the posts once again...
carefully, this time, before posting more of your pedantic statements...
You'll find I stated the version which I own...

and once again, if you cannot provide any assistance with fixing the problem, then back off... as your posts are simply a waste of my, and everyone elses, time... misstating and misquoting what I have written does no one any good...

I'm looking for solutions, not insults... or do you not understand that as well...?

...and thank you for the clarification that you are not staff...
About arrogancy or having an attitude, I'm afraid I cannot teach you anything.
About insults, well you certainly know how to really be insulting (and that without a shred of doubt intentionally). Fortunately I'm not really susceptible to insults.
About reading, well I only can suggest you to take a course (and after having done so, I invite you to point out to me where exactly I've insulted you in my earlier posts and/or where exactly I was "misstating and misquoting" what you'd written).
About finding a solution, if you are indeed a purchaser of BSPlayer-Pro holding an officially obtained registration code, you could have read in my Help2Help-post:
Quote:
To purchasers of BSPlayer Pro (holding an officially obtained registration code), BSPlayer-team provides technical e-mail support, which is made available through the contact-form at http://www.bsplayer.org/en/contact_us/. (A link to this form is also provided at BSPlayer's webpage "Customer Service". So BSPlayer Pro users are invited to use this options to receive direct support from BSPlayer-team. (Note this does NOT apply to users of the FREE version BSPlayer!)
............So I would suggest you to follow that route.
:?
(And maybe there is no ready solution and it is simply a bug. That's exactly why I moved this thread from "General discussions" to "Bug reports" so that it will get the proper attention from BSPlayer's developers, especially if our fellow-user Tizio adds it to his summary, listing all existing bugs.)
Old 8th January 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Calm down everybody or I'll have to moderate the thread :twisted:
(just kidding) :P

It's definitely a bug, I didn't replied in the first place because I recalled of it and I thought it was already in the bugs list, but as far as I can see I was wrong. I'll add it and hope that it will be fixed soon (it's there since too much time already)

Tags
capture, original, screen, size