Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Answered And Solved Questions

Answered And Solved Questions A good place to check before you post your question. All answered / solved posts are archived here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11th August 2009
BS.Player Newbie

noelcm is on a distinguished road
Default Positioning of secondary subtitle

I can locate the position of the primary subtitle correctly, but cannot "auto position" the secondary subtitle. The menu does not give the same options. Is there a workaround?

OK there is no workaround. Is it possible this shortcoming can be rectified in a future version of BS player.

The reason is that I am preparing subtitles in two languages (english and thai). I need to show both languages at the same time.

The primary subtitle can be adjusted to the bottom of the screen, but the secondary crosses the screen about one third of the way down from the top and is a minor interference. Any ideas would be welcome.

Last edited by noelcm; 28th August 2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: No response or suggestion
Old 1st October 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately you don't mention what version/build of BS.Player you're using, so I can only tell you that I'm using 2.43 now and for both the primary as well as the secondary subtitles (both .srt type) I can position the subs, either "auto" or manually (=custom):
(rightclick >) Subtitles > Primary/Secondary > Subtitle properties > Auto_position/Custom_position
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 1st October 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Default Positioning of secondary subtitles

Thank you for responding
I am using the same version 2.43
The menu for the secondary subs does not give the same options as for the primary subs
The primary has a move up and move down option
That is not available in the secondary
I can adjust the position of the secondary, but it is line by line, and for 1500 lines its just not possible
Could you tell me how you adjust the position of the secondary subtitle without the move up and down options, this would be a big help
Old 1st October 2009
BS.Player Master

As already indicated in my previous post I can position the subs, either "auto" or manually (=custom):
(rightclick >) Subtitles > Primary/Secondary > Subtitle properties > Auto_position/Custom_position
Did you try "Custom position" already? It allows you to move the subtitles to the position you want (using your mouse pointer).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 4th October 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Hi BSPeter. Thank you for your time and trouble
I have followed the procedure you described exactly. When I click on "custom" I get a yellow "sample sub" at the bottom of the screen (superimposed on the primary subtitle). But when I place the mouse pointer on the yellow sub and click and hold to move it both subtitles go out (disappear) until I release the (left) mouse button.
I don't think it is supposed to work like this

Last edited by noelcm; 4th October 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 5th October 2009
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelcm View Post
...When I click on "custom" I get a yellow "sample sub" at the bottom of the screen (superimposed on the primary subtitle). But when I place the mouse pointer on the yellow sub and click and hold to move it both subtitles go out (disappear) until I release the (left) mouse button....
When you click on "custom" the sample sub is immediately "attached" to your mousepointer; you then simply move it to where you want it shown on screen and only then (not before) you (left)click to position the sub.
Old 5th October 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Thanks, mate. Now we're getting somewhere.
When I click on "custom position" the yellow "Subtitle Sample" appears at the bottom of the screen superimposed on the primary subtitle (in the middle of the bottom).
When I move the mouse pointer to it nothing happens - until I move the pointer up.
Halfway up the screen the sub begins to move.
When the mouse pointer reaches the top of the screen the sub is in the dead centre of the screen - and will go no further.
If the sub attached to the pointer as you describe it would be great - but it don't.
What sayest you??

Would you correct me if I am wrong please?
When clicking on "custom position" for the Secondary subtitle, the Subtitle Sample should appear at the very TOP, not bottom, of the screen.
(The primary subtitle, upon clicking custom position, appears, correctly, at the bottom of the screen)
This should be a simple programming fix, but I would not know where to start!

Last edited by noelcm; 8th October 2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: No response
Old 19th October 2009
BS.Player Master

I hereunder quote a p.m. which I received from noelcm, so that it can be read/replied by all users and team-members who visit the forum.
That's exactly what the forum is for (whereas p.m. isn't).
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelcm (in a p.m. to BSPeter)
Can you confirm that there is an error in the programming for the positioning of the secondary subtitles.
The auto leaves the subtitle on third down from the top.
The custom leaves the sub in the middle of the screen.
If the secondary custom position was at the very top, by default (initially) it would be perfect.
Can you please confirm that this is the case and it can be easily corrected
Old 19th October 2009
BS.Player Newbie

To BS Peter
Thank you for responding so quickly to the pm that I sent to you.
Yours is the only response I have had but it does not address the actual problem.
The problem degrades the display of an otherwise excellent package.
What can be done?
Old 19th October 2009
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road
Wink

Should be fixed in 2.5 final; give it a try when it is released . If the secondary subtitles does not display correctly, try disabling new subtitle renderer in Subtitles Preferences.
Old 19th October 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Hi Ico-man
The problem with the custom positioning of the secondary subtitles is exactly the same in the new 2.5 version.
The default position of the sample subtitle (secondary) is still at the bottom of the screen.
It must be at the top to be useable.
Sorry to keep pressing this point but it does seem such a simple matter to fix

Thanks to all.
Will do

Last edited by noelcm; 24th October 2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Downloaded and tried new version
Old 28th December 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Default Problems with secondary subtitles

I am using version 2.5 build 1017.
The secondary subtitles cannot be positioned more than 2/3 of the screen height from the bottom of the screen. i.e. 2/3's of the way up.
Now a new problem
A random subtitle jumps and sticks to the top of the screen.
Does not update.
Sits at the top of the movie until I minimize and maximise the display.
The same thing happens at about 30 second intervals - for the duration of the movie.
If you try to forget about them they merely superimpose.

The ability to display 2 subtitles is very important.
That nothing is being done to correct the problems is disapointing
Old 18th December 2011
BS.Player Newbie

iron33 is on a distinguished road
Default positioning the secondary subtitle

It is hilarious that nothing has been done concerning this well known issue. Still impossible to position the secondary subtitle to the top in fullscreen mode. I'm using version 2.58 (build 1058). Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance.
Old 6th November 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Kozl is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with the secondary subtitle (it isn't possible to position the secondary subtitle to the top) with the latest version 2.62... Is there any solution?
Thank you!
Old 7th November 2012
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Do you see this with old and new subtitle renderer?
Are you using 2 txt subtitles?

This should work.
Old 7th November 2012
BS.Player Newbie

Kozl is on a distinguished road

Sorry, with the new renderer it works. I used the old one, it is set by default...
Is there any disadvantage of the new renderer or why isn't it set by default?
Thank you
Old 7th November 2012
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

New subtitle renderer should be enabled as default in latest versions. Perhaps preferences remained from older installations.

And new is always better. :)

Tags
positioning, secondary, subtitle