Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

ZenicaNJ is on a distinguished road
Default Broken after update

Hello,

I recently uninstalled an earlier version of the BSPlayer so I could install
the latest version 1058,08 Sept 2011.

After doing this, the BSPlayer will no longer play 90% of my files. Most of
my files are in the Matroska format.

I am including the file details of just one file it will no longer play that the earlier version did play. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated....as I dislike using VLC and KMPlayer.

Thanks!

G:\Primeval\Season (5) Five\Primeval - 5x04.mkv
General
Unique ID : 208573894509861918934109474398563249686 (0x9CE9DEF3A80628768F3BB420FBF4AE16)
Complete name : G:\Primeval\Season (5) Five\Primeval - 5x04.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.29 GiB
Duration : 42mn 57s
Overall bit rate : 4 307 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2011-06-19 10:17:02
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.9.8 ('C'est le bon') built on Aug 13 2009 12:49:06
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video #2
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 960 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Language : English
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
Audio #1
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English
Old 7th December 2011
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

(1)
Latest version actually is 259.1060beta of 12 Nov.2011
(2)
There is no need to uninstall previous versions/builds when installing a new version/build of BS.Player. You can simply install the new version "over" the old one (thus retaining all your previous settings).
[However pse note this.]
(3)
When you (re)installed BS.Player, did you allow it to also internally install its preferred codecs/filters? (Internally meaning for use by BS.Player only and not interfering with your systems codecs/filters).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 7th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
(1)
Latest version actually is 259.1060beta of 12 Nov.2011
(2)
There is no need to uninstall previous versions/builds when installing a new version/build of BS.Player. You can simply install the new version "over" the old one (thus retaining all your previous settings).
[However pse note this.]
(3)
When you (re)installed BS.Player, did you allow it to also internally install its preferred codecs/filters? (Internally meaning for use by BS.Player only and not interfering with your systems codecs/filters).
Hey, thanks for the reply...much appreciated.

I wasn't factoring in the beta version when I said I installed the latest version/build. I tend to avoid software that says beta since my computer isn't for testing purposes.

I am not sure how to respond to your inquiry about internally installed codecs. I allowed the software to install how it saw fit, changing only the destination folder. When it prompted me to download and install missing codecs, I confirmed the download and install. I do recall it saying something about being locally installed for the BS.Player only and that it wouldn't be a problem for other applications.

It seems the newly installed version only has an issue with 1GB+ high definition video files, small 350MB files like this one play fine.

G:\King Of Queens\Season (1) One\The King of Queens 01x01\The.King.Of.Queens.S01E01.avi
General
Complete name : G:\King Of Queens\Season (1) One\The King of Queens 01x01\The.King.Of.Queens.S01E01.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 233 MiB
Duration : 22mn 38s
Overall bit rate : 1 436 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.4.13
Writing library : VirtualDub build 14328/release
Video #0
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 1 086 Kbps
Width : 512 pixels
Height : 384 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.184
Stream size : 176 MiB (76%)
Writing library : XviD 0.0.09 (UTC 2003-03-25)
Audio #1
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Stream size : 26.8 MiB (12%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.72 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 106 ms
Writing library : LAME3.92
Encoding settings : -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 18 --abr 160
Audio #2
ID : 2
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Stream size : 26.3 MiB (11%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.72 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 108 ms
Writing library : LAME3.92
Encoding settings : -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 18 --abr 160
Old 8th December 2011
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

When you try to play an MKV, does an error message pops up ?
If yes, please post here that message.

The difference between the two files it's not in size but in filters requiered to be able to play the files. First file needs an MKV splitter, an AVC decoder and an AAC decoder, while the second one require a simple MPEG4 decoder and an MP3 decoder.
If you allowed internal filters to be installed, you should check in:
-ffdshow video options that it is set to decode H264/x264/AVC
-ffdshow audio options that is set to decode AAC
Old 8th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Thanks for the reply and help...

I do receive an error, this is what it states:

__________________________________________________ __
BS.Player cannot play the media file.
You don't have necessary codec installed, file may damaged or not media file.

Click 'Find codec' to try to find codec.
__________________________________________________ __

Clicking on "find codec" only brings up the screen I saw during the installation regarding the locally installed codecs. it does indicate "installed" for all of them.

I went into Menu>Options>Preferences>General;File Types and all types are being associated.

Further down under ffdshow properties there are no options such as those you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
When you try to play an MKV, does an error message pops up ?
If yes, please post here that message.

The difference between the two files it's not in size but in filters requiered to be able to play the files. First file needs an MKV splitter, an AVC decoder and an AAC decoder, while the second one require a simple MPEG4 decoder and an MP3 decoder.
If you allowed internal filters to be installed, you should check in:
-ffdshow video options that it is set to decode H264/x264/AVC
-ffdshow audio options that is set to decode AAC
Old 8th December 2011
BS.Player Master

If you have ffdshow installed by BSplayer, then play a file that uses ffdshow (like the second in your post), and, while playing rightclick -> options -> filters -> click on ffdshow and the configuration window must appear.
Also, am MKV splitter is requiered, such as Gabest MKV splitter or Haali media splitter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ffdshowA.jpg (98.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ffdshowV.jpg (98.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
If you have ffdshow installed by BSplayer, then play a file that uses ffdshow (like the second in your post), and, while playing rightclick -> options -> filters -> click on ffdshow and the configuration window must appear.
Also, am MKV splitter is requiered, such as Gabest MKV splitter or Haali media splitter
When I played the King of Queens, it did not seem to use ffdshow so the options>filters>ffdshow menu was not there. It used MPA Decoder Filter.

I went back to the screen where it shows the installed codecs for BS.Player and only two say "local", all others say "system". Reinstalling had no effect and there isn't an option to force local vs system.

One thing I like about KMPlayer is that the codecs are managed from within the player....I can add/install a codec from within the preferences menu.

I have ffdshow installed but for the system....Flash Video, MPEG2 Decoder, Haali Media Splitter and Real Media Splitter are all installed to "system".

EDIT:

@ Adicoto: using KMPlayer, I can see I have the codecs you highlighted in your pictures installed as well as Gabest.

Last edited by ZenicaNJ; 11th December 2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 11th December 2011
BS.Player Master

1. if ffdshow is system installed, then the menus above can be accessed through START-> programs -> ffdshow -> video (audio) configuration.
2. BSPlayer have also codec management, you can find it through rightclick -> options -> preferences -> filter management. If ffdshow it's not loaded when playing, then it's not a prefered decoder, you can add it into filter management window. Or just reinstall ffdshow.
Same thing for Haali media splitter.

By the way, do you run Windows seven ?
Old 11th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
1. if ffdshow is system installed, then the menus above can be accessed through START-> programs -> ffdshow -> video (audio) configuration.
2. BSPlayer have also codec management, you can find it through rightclick -> options -> preferences -> filter management. If ffdshow it's not loaded when playing, then it's not a prefered decoder, you can add it into filter management window. Or just reinstall ffdshow.
Same thing for Haali media splitter.

By the way, do you run Windows seven ?
I tried going to Start, then Programs to look for ffdshow but it was not found. So I also did a system search and Windows found this [C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\BSplayer].

I am using...and no laughing or snickering please! Windows Vista. I did try Windows 7 a few months ago but it completely hosed that laptop half way through the "upgrade". I'm not adventurous enough to try it again.

I opened BS.Player, then Menu>Options>Preferences>Filter Management>Filter Manager and I can see ffdshow listed, twice. Under the Filter Priority tab there was nothing so I tried adding the ffdshow audio and video codec but the audio one caused BS.Player to generate an access violation error.
Old 12th December 2011
BS.Player Master

If you find ffdshow only in BSPlayer's folder, then it's not system installed but only local. Run codecmanager.exe from BSPlayer's install folder and uninstall ffdshow. Then install ffdshow for system, using

Free-Codecs.com : Download FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-11-20, FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-10-13 and FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-11-20 x64 : FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter

If you have Vista on 64 bits, download x64 version.
Old 12th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
If you find ffdshow only in BSPlayer's folder, then it's not system installed but only local. Run codecmanager.exe from BSPlayer's install folder and uninstall ffdshow. Then install ffdshow for system, using

Free-Codecs.com : Download FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-11-20, FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-10-13 and FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-11-20 x64 : FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter

If you have Vista on 64 bits, download x64 version.
I ran the codecmanager.exe file, selected ffdshow then uninstall. It appeared to uninstall but when the list refreshed, it shows as "installed". I tried again with the same results.

I then uninstalled BS.Player and then reinstalled but at the codec screen, I deselected ffdshow. After BS.Player installed, I ran the setup for the ffdshow I downloaded using the link you provided. It installed fine.

I then tried to play a media file with BS.Player but get the same codec not found error.

I am never again "upgrading". There is a reason for the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
Old 12th December 2011
BS.Player Master

1. Now, if you play a file from a different season, ffdshow shows up in used codecs ?

2. For MKV you still need to have Haali media splitter installed and AVC / AAC activated in ffdshow options.
Old 13th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
1. Now, if you play a file from a different season, ffdshow shows up in used codecs ?

2. For MKV you still need to have Haali media splitter installed and AVC / AAC activated in ffdshow options.
I can't play a single MKV with BS.Player and others that are AVI play fine.
I believe Haali Media Splitter is installed as it shows installed, system when I run codecmanager.exe from the BS.Player folder.

I am not sure about AVC/AAC as I don't know where/how to verify it/they is/are installed.
Old 13th December 2011
BS.Player Master

Go to codecmanager.exe, uninstall if it's local and then download and install it from:

Codecs.com :: Download Haali Matroska Splitter 1.11.288.0 : Haali Matroska Splitter is a DirectShow splitter

AVC / AAC support in ffdshow it's what I ment. Like in the pictures above.
Old 13th December 2011
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Go to codecmanager.exe, uninstall if it's local and then download and install it from:

Codecs.com :: Download Haali Matroska Splitter 1.11.288.0 : Haali Matroska Splitter is a DirectShow splitter

AVC / AAC support in ffdshow it's what I ment. Like in the pictures above.
Every time I try to uninstall a codec from the codecmanager, it appears to uninstall, only then to refresh and show as still installed. I have to uninstall BS.Player to uninstall the codec and each time I uninstall BS.Player, it hangs half way through forcing me to use ctrl/alt/del to shut down the uninstall program. When I do, then it says uninstalled successfully and launches the browser to open the BS.Player web site.

I did all of this, then reinstalled deselecting both the ffdshow and Haali codecs so I can install them from the separate downloads.

and.......you are pure genius! I can play MKV files with BS.Player!

Oh thank goodness, I really wasn't looking forward to continued use of KMPlayer!

Thank you again!

Tags
broken, update