Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th April 2009
BS.Player Newbie

F u r u y á is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Unexpect behavior of frame by frame playing

Suppose I'm watching a movie and I want to see frame by frame a specific scene. What I would normaly do is:
  1. seek for the scene ["left" and "right" during normal playback]
  2. wait for the exact moment and press pause ["c"]
  3. then watch the scene frame by frame ["left" and "right" with the movie paused]

In step 2, the expected behavior of BS.Player is to pause the scene in the current frame (the frame of the instant I pressed "c"). And that's what older versions of BSPlayer do (eg. v1.37).

However, in newer versions (v2.x), in step 2 BS.Player does not pause the scene in the current frame; instead, it pauses in the first frame of the last seek from step 1 (ie the first frame of the step 2, which is not the frame of the moment in which I pressed "c" because I've waited a few seconds before pressing "c"). You can try it for yourself and see if this happens to you too (try with XviD or H.264 movies).

BTW, I noticed that this happens with videos which use 3rd party codecs (XviD, H.264). With MPEG-1, even newer versions (v2.x) of BS.Player behaves as expected. I must say that my codec installation is good and clean (my system doesn't have any collision of codecs). This is not a codec problem, I confirmed that is a issue with newer versions of BS.Player (I tried different codecs but the result was always the same).

I'm making this post because I really like this feature of BS.Player: I can easily frame by frame any scene I want and when I press play again, BS.Player replays the scene in normal playback. That's just perfect to watch some crazy tricks in skateboard movies
Old 18th April 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Is "Seek by keyframes (AVI and MKV files)" (last option in the list) selected under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > General > [General settings] ?
Video rendering mode?
Build of BS.Player?

PS: You can use spacebar in stead of [C]
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 18th April 2009
BS.Player Newbie

omg!!! that's it... can't believe

for years I thought this was a bug.... omg I'm stupid!

Thank you very much!!
Old 18th April 2009
BS.Player Master

Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 19th April 2009
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

In my opinion it should always stop in the exact same moment in which you press the pause button, without taking into account that option.

Anyway ATM I have no problems with this, but there's an even more annoying problem with pause function, and it's that after you pause the video and seek forward by one or more frames, it automatically seeks forward by 1 frame every 5 seconds (even if the frames counter doesn't increment while BSplayer automatically seeks).

Last time I tested and confirmed this behavior, was with an Xvid file, @25fps, decoded by ffdshow video decoder and Elecard audio decoder (default Windows' splitter)
Old 19th April 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Tizio, I've made a little confusion about the bug: BS.Player does pause in the exact moment when you press "c" but then when you press "right" to forward frame by frame, it goes back to the the first frame of the last seek from step 1. Fortunately, unchecking "Seek by keyframes (AVI and MKV files)" solved the problem :)

Here the problem you describe doesn't happen (once the movie is paused, pressing "right" or "left" skips the movie frame by frame).
Old 20th April 2009
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio View Post
....there's an even more annoying problem with pause function, and it's that after you pause the video and seek forward by one or more frames, it automatically seeks forward by 1 frame every 5 seconds (even if the frames counter doesn't increment while BSplayer automatically seeks).
Bug reported and confirmed earlier already (almost two years ago); I can reconfirm it is still there. Maybe time to revive your bugs-compilation post Tizio?
Old 24th April 2009
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

I remember I already reported this bug, but I didn't expected my previous report was been almost exactly the same as the one I reported here

Unfortunately I've tried several times to revive my BUG REPORTS thread, but the problem is the lack of time... and now I would like to prioritize the BSPlayer user guide, but I can't find the time neither for this task

Tags
behavior, frame, playing, unexpect