Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12th July 2006
BS.Player Newbie

psingman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Divx codec for Windows 98 wrong on the Net!

Hi, I had to download an earlier version of BSplayer as directed in the sticky faq area, the 501 one, and decided to do the divx codec and AC thingie afterwards. Well, I followed the instructions on the divx sites for 5.21 for Windows 98 and ME. I downloaded that codec, tried to install, and it said, won't work with this version of Windows....I have Windows 98SE.

OK, what gives, why would all these websites say download this specific codec for my OS and it won't install. I would like to MAKE each one of the webmasters on these sites take down their offer. Every time I try to do something like this, for my computer, I run into these snags, does anyone really know what they are doing on in regards to these directions. Enough ranting, so what do I need to do, or maybe I don't need to do anything to play divx stuff. Please get back to me in here with the next avenue to go down to make this BS Player version sweet for watching avi's and divx files. Thanks for listening and assisting, psingman
Old 12th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

You don't need to install an ancient version of BSplayer , you can use v1.37 (last without adware) and it should work well (and you'll find it by following the link in the sticky faq post)!

If you want to make DivX files.. I don't have links to give you to the DivX Pro v5.2.1 (and DivxNetworks removed it from their site), but if you want here I posted you 2 links to the free codec (the first one is for Win2000/XP, in the second one you can choose which OS you want it for). The problem with DivX free is that you'll encode your videos with the DivX logo in the bottom right corner of the movie.

I suggest you to use XviD instead, it's freeware and latest versions works really better than previous ones and in some cases better than DivX
Old 12th July 2006
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
what do I need to do, or maybe I don't need to do anything to play divx stuff
To play all MPEG-4 ASP or AVC/H.264 files (DIV3, DX50, XVID, H264) you can use FFDSHOW Video Decoder! The three versions available use different optimizations for CPU (Pentium 2, Pentium 3, Pentium 4). Get the first package if you don't know what is SSE. Please uncheck all audio-related stuff during installation.

To encode to either MPEG-4 ASP or AVC, get
- XviD codec
- x264 codec
Old 12th July 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
You don't need to install an ancient version of BSplayer , you can use v1.37 (last without adware) and it should work well (and you'll find it by following the link in the sticky faq post)!
I suppose Tizio is referring to my Help2Help-post when talking about a "sticky FAQ post". In this post you can find the latest version of BSPlayer without adware (137) under item (a) of MISCELLANEOUS:
quote (in fact at this last site you can download lots of versions of BSPlayer). unquote
(just click on that line)
Further (@Tizio): I do not consider version 0.86.501 as being "ancient" but as an older version, which I recommend for using (in combination with ffdshow) if one has an older PC with a slower CPU (e.g. < 450MHz) and I - of course - don't know if that perhaps applies for psingman
Quote:
...here I posted you 2 links to the free codec (the first one is for Win2000/XP, in the second one you can choose which OS you want it for
This second link is the very same as mentioned by me in item (4) of my Help2Help-post.
@psingman: Did you download the version which gave you problems from there?
Quote:
The problem with DivX free is that you'll encode your videos with the DivX logo in the bottom right corner of the movie.
????
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 12th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Quote:
I suppose Tizio is referring to my Help2Help-post when talking about a "sticky FAQ post". In this post you can find the latest version of BSPlayer without adware (137) under item (a) of MISCELLANEOUS:
quote (in fact at this last site you can download lots of versions of BSPlayer). unquote
(just click on that line)
Yes, I was referring to it as psingman referred to it that way :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psingman
Hi, I had to download an earlier version of BSplayer as directed in the sticky faq area, the 501 one
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Further (@Tizio): I do not consider version 0.86.501 as being "ancient" but as an older version, which I recommend for using (in combination with ffdshow) if one has an older PC with a slower CPU (e.g. < 450MHz) and I - of course - don't know if that perhaps applies for psingman
Well, you are right, but since adicoto told me my PC is a mummy.. :lol: and it plays pretty well all videos with BSplayer... (I can only barely remember the times when I used BSplayer v0.8x... good times anyway ) I used that term... :roll:
Old 13th July 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Ok, another reply. I didn't find the answer to my orig post in the replies. I said the divx codec on the Internet is totally wrong, it says it is for Windows 98, when in fact it is not. Again, how can they do this and why doesn't someone esp. someone with some tech knowledge and clout tell these places that they are directing people to download a false codec.

I do want to thank everyone for showing me to the old BS player, worked fine with the FFD show codecs, can watch all avis now. But again, WHY do we have to keep going back to all these versions. can't someone make a player that will play all the videos we encounter. I am willing to take a job with one of these companies policing these policies. OK, moving on, grateful for your assistance. psingman
Old 13th July 2006
BS.Player Master

If you have a PC with a CPU working frequency above 500MHz you can use BSplayer v1.37 with ffdshow and still watch all your avi files without problems! No need to use BSplayer v0.86.501! BSplayer is able to play all the files for which you have installed a working codec...

Have you also tried to use the DivX codec for Win98/ME hosted by http://www.free-codecs.com/DivX_Free_download.htm ?
If it doesn't work, at free-codecs there is a forum where you can post your problem: http://www.click-now.net/forums/index.php?showforum=8

If you prefer you can also use the BSplayer latest version (be aware of the fact that it contains an adware client side program in it). The choice is your.
Old 13th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psingman
Ok, another reply.
After this introduction, I was indeed expecting a reply would follow .... but ..... Nope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 posts up in this thread I
@psingman: Did you download the version which gave you problems from there?
(and I was referring to the second link provided by Tizio which is the same link as I use in my Help2Help-post), but .....?
Whereas your posts in this thread do not contain any replies, only remarks/comments and questions, there have been several replies by Tizio, by J7N (and by me), so I don't really understand that you can possibly say no answers have been given to you.
:?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 14th July 2006
BS.Player Power User

Quote:
I didn't find the answer to my orig post in the replies. I said the divx codec on the Internet is totally wrong
I don't care about DivXNetworks as long as I know how to play and encode MPEG-4 files using different tools. A video codec should _not_ require NT and the codecs I recommended don't.

Quote:
WHY do we have to keep going back to all these versions.
FFDSHOW and libavcodec are still in development and cannot be condsidered old software. ffdshow filter can work together with at least BSPlayer 1.36 on Win98.

Quote:
policing these policies
???
Old 18th July 2006
BS.Player Master

Bringing together and continuing two other threads into this one.
If you wish to read the other threads you can click here and/or here.

(Note: posts following this one can be in reaction to previous posts in either three threads!)
Old 2nd August 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Ok, still no answer here to making Bsplayer play avi files properly in Windows 98. I followed every direction and opened up some of my avi files and still no great progress in its performance. Perhaps it is just on my machine but I believe it works OK for some avi and divx files, but it doesn't work on a lot of the newer ones out on the internet. Thanks for trying to help, but I am going to look for another player that will handle these newer formats. psingman
Old 2nd August 2006
BS.Player Power User

Why do you keep repeating that newly released files with MPEG-4 video track don't work because of BSPlayer? I have recently played a few XVID and DIVX files on my old Win98 machine using BSPlayer v1.36 + ffdshow 2004.

Have you installed ffdshow? What exactly happens if you try to open a video file?

Quote:
it works OK for some avi and divx files
What is common among the working files? Have you enabled "libavcodec" for all required MPEG-4 formats (XVID, DIVX, DIV3, DX50…) in the configuration window of ffdshow?
Old 2nd August 2006
BS.Player Master

@psingman:
We have no such experience. To the contrary: BSPlayer 137.826 plays whatever avi/divx we've tried. Probably a codec/filter question.
However, YOUR problem is that you apparently cannot read properly or you do not bother to follow suggestions and/or you don't give answers to questions asked:
http://bsplayer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29501#29501
http://bsplayer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29778#29778
So don't tell nonsense in this forum simply out of frustration!
:?
Old 13th August 2006
BS.Player Newbie

Hi, again, I have listened and tried all the assisted ideas but still bsplayer does not respond on quite a few avis. I realize that something must be interfering with their playback. I use Gspot and it says right codecs installed but in the rendering area, there is a problem with something to do with no connection to output splitters and stream splitter pins. I think perhaps my media player needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled as it is also taking a long time to even load the avi files. Well, I will try that avenue and see if it renders a video player that will play avis properly, psingman
Old 14th August 2006
BS.Player Master

Maybe you have to re-register quartz.dll:
http://bsplayer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15157#15157

Tags
codec, divx, net, windows, wrong