Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Subtitles

Subtitles Post question about BS.Player and subtitles (srt sub ssa mkv) here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

aliado is on a distinguished road
Question [FIXED] How to disable secondary subtitles by default?

Hi,

Does anybody know how to disable secondary subtitles by default? Every time I start BS player there are two subtitles (but same file) overlapping. Subtitles are in color of secondary subs. If I uncheck secondary subtitles everything is ok.

I use BS Player FREE 2.57 built 1048. In version 2.56 I didn't have this problem. My settings are: Use new subtitle parser/render, Video render is EVR.

Thanks, Aliado
Old 2nd December 2010
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

I think this concerns an already confirmed bug (still existing in most recent build 1049).
For the time being the work-around is to uncheck/deselect "Remember movie settings" under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > General [General settings]
http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-report...html#post43295
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 3rd December 2010
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road

Should be fixed in BSPlayer FREE 2.57 build 1049.
User says he has 1048.
Old 3rd December 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-man View Post
Should be fixed in BSPlayer FREE 2.57 build 1049.
User says he has 1048.
And like this user already said (for Pro-version):
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
I think this concerns an already confirmed bug (still existing in most recent build 1049)....
Note I'm in the habit of testing and re-testing these things before writing a "firm" reply.

Unless more than one 1049 build has been published, which would be a very bad and in fact unacceptable thing with respect to version-management!
(Will test later by removing xml-file.)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 3rd December 2010
BS.Player Master

Meanwhile I tested by (temporarily) renaming xml-file so that BS.Player then creates a fresh xml-file. From this test it appeared that - with a fresh xml-file - the problem is gone. When I renamed the 'old' xml-file back to its initial name: the problem was back!

So people who always install a new version over an existing version apparently have to act similarly as I did for this test. However, thereby effectively losing all their (non-default) personal settings!!

What's more: As I've installed (for testing purposes) several versions/builds of BS.Player on my system (Free and Pro, final and beta but e.g. also still 0.68 and 137), I always choose - at installation - BS.Player's installation folder as the folder to store all BS.Player's auxiliary (setting) files. However, after I (temporarily) renamed the BSplayer.xml-file for this test, it appeared that BS.Player had created (under XP SP3) the new xml-files in
C:\Documents and Settings\[MyName]\Application Data\BSplayer PRO !!
No doubt under Vista and Win7 BS.Player will (similarly) do so in
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\BSplayer [Pro]

So only users who installed BS.Player with all default options at installation can suffice by renaming/deleting the BSplayer.xml-file and re-starting BS.Player.
Users which have chosen another option at installation have to rename/delete the BSplayer.xml-file and then re-install BS.Player (with the users' preferred installation settings).
(Again: all users will loose their previously selected personal settings.)
Old 3rd December 2010
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Unfortunatelly I can't confirm BSPeter. Once installed ver 1049, I had secondary subtitles just for the last file that was opened with the older version. In fact, the problem is in the .sav file, where are mentioned 2 subtitles for the files that BS.Player played before.

subfile1=D:\utorrent\Ghost Whisperer Season 3\Ghost Whisperer 0302 - Don't Try This At Home.srt
subfile2=D:\utorrent\Ghost Whisperer Season 3\Ghost Whisperer 0302 - Don't Try This At Home.srt

So, if in that file, for all saved movies, there is a line with subfile2, there will be secondary subtitle dispalyed.

Also, remember movie settings is checked and no problems.
Old 3rd December 2010
BS.Player Newbie

aliado is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for answers.

I'm using "work around" unchecked Remember movie settings till bug will be fixed.

Aliado

Last edited by aliado; 3rd December 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 3rd December 2010
BS.Player Master

@adicoto: thx by confirming not being able to confirm, nevertheless mentioning as your last remark: "So, if in that file, for all saved movies, there is a line with subfile2, there will be secondary subtitle displayed".

Your reaction helped me to find out what happened/happens.
What happened:
You're - of course - entirely correct when you mention that the file bsplay.sav holds the subtitle history. Indeed I also knew that, but I was simply too quick in drawing conclusions from my test (when I renamed BSplayer.xml).
As mentioned by me: in my set-up I normally have all BS.Player's auxiliary (setting) files in BS.Player's installation folders. I already mentioned that renaming BSplayer.xml resulted (for me under XP SP3) in BS.Player creating "the new xml-files" in
C:\Documents and Settings\[MyName]\Application Data\BSplayer PRO !!
What I meant to say (resp. should have said) was that all BS.Player's auxiliary (setting) files were created anew in that user-folder (in which normally no settings are saved for any of my BS.Player-installations).
(So not only BSplayer.xml, but also bsplay.sav, bsplist.bsl and - where applicable - other auxiliary files used by BS.Player).
So all newly created auxiliary files were "virgin". Consequently the file bsplay.sav didn't contain any 'history' of (i.a.) subtitles (either primary or secondary), so the problem seemed gone. My (meanwhile proven to have been too hasty) conclusion then was "with a fresh BSplayer.xml-file the problem is gone".
Apparently BS.Player (when started) first checks in the installation folder for the presence of a BSplayer.xml file. If it's there it will (continue to) use the installation folder for all its auxiliary files. However, if it's not there, BS.Player will default to the user's folder (depending on the OS) to create and save all its auxiliary files. Now, this behaviour is what fooled me.

What happens for subtitles with "Remember movie settings" being selected:
During playback of a movie changing and/or switching off or on subtitles is of no importance to the contents of "bsplay.sav".
However, at the time that the user either closes the video-file or exits BS.Player, the subtitle-path(s) and file-name(s) as then used, are saved by BS.Player in the file "bsplay.sav" (in the way as indicated by adicoto in his last post).
This may concern (unless no subtitles were used):
- either only primary subtitle;
- or only secondary subtitle;
- or both primary and secondary subtitles.
When playing the same movie a next time:
(1) both primary and/or secondary subtitle may be changed/substituted by another subtitle. The actual subtitle(s) being active at the time of closing or exiting are saved in "bsplay.sav" at that time (overwriting/substituting existing data).
(2) if present (and unless "Subtitles are off by default" is selected) a primary subtitle will always be shown, also if last time (none or) only a secondary subtitle was shown (and saved into "bsplay.sav"). [Consequently in the lastmentioned scenario both primary and secondary subs will be shown.]
(3) once (at any time) a movie-file has been closed or BS.Player exited while secondary subtitles were active, there presently is no (regular) way to undo the auto-selection of the secondary subtitle for thàt particular movie. E.g. deselection of "Show subtitles" for secondary subtitles and then closing the movie-file or exiting BS.Player does not (as it should) remove the existing data of the secondary subtitle from "bsplay.sav". (It doesn't do that for primary subtitle either, but that is less noticable in view of what I already mentioned under (2) and perhaps also less a nuisance considering the option mentioned under "Further" hereinafter.)
[Of course it's possible to simply delete the subfile2-line (and/or, for that matter, also the subfile1-line) from the file using e.g. Notepad.]

Further (also to be seen in connection with the above) the option "Subtitles are off by default" only works for primary subtitles and has no influence on secondary subtitles. (So maybe rename this option into "Primary subtitles are off by default"?)

(During my testing it also seemed that the remember function seems to be critical with respect to the names of subtitlefile(s) which have been loaded manually using [Ctrl]+[L])

Again note that, following my choice at installation of BS.Player-versions, "my" BS.Player's auxiliary (setting) files (including "bsplay.sav") are located in my several BS.Players' installation folders.
Also if the above problem might not occur when BS.Player is installed with all installation settings 'default' (I don't know that!), there still is a bug!
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
@adicoto: thx by confirming not being able to confirm, nevertheless mentioning as your last remark: "So, if in that file, for all saved movies, there is a line with subfile2, there will be secondary subtitle displayed".
My remark was made to point out that if previous version was buggy, it saved in .sav file secondary subtitles for all movies, and therefore secondary subtitle was present, but not because of a bug in current version.
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

My point is: once a secondary subtitle is saved (also in current version), there is no regular possibility anymore to change this setting for that same movie.
You can change/update it by another 2nd subtitle, but it is impossible to get rid of it. (The only way is to substitute it by an empty sub-file.)
It does remember most recent subs, but it doesn't remember most recent subs-setting. It will keep on showing (=force upon you) a secondary subtitle, even if you constantly switch it off. For me that's still a bug!
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Can't confirm this behaviour. Loaded a secondary subtitle. Closed BS.Player. Reopened BS.Player, disabled secondary subtitle and in .sav file, no secondary subtitle mentioned.
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
....(During my testing it also seemed that the remember function seems to be critical with respect to the names of subtitlefile(s) which have been loaded manually using [Ctrl]+[L])

Again note that, following my choice at installation of BS.Player-versions, "my" BS.Player's auxiliary (setting) files (including "bsplay.sav") are located in my several BS.Players' installation folders.
Also if the above problem might not occur when BS.Player is installed with all installation settings 'default' (I don't know that!), there still is a bug!
(1) Manually loaded subtitles sometimes are not remembered at all.
(2) I suppose the 2nd sub was in your .sav-file the first time? (You didn't mention that.)
(3) Sofar you've also still not mentioned the location of your bsplay.sav file.
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

I don't use subs folder, I am placing the subtitles in the movie folder.
SAV file it's located in users/myname/appdata/roaming/bsplayer pro folder.
The two subtitles were in movie folder, one with RUM and one with EN.
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

I believe we could write here, as some bugs are inconsistent to me and some are, that this version have some HUGE issues.
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
(1) Manually loaded subtitles sometimes are not remembered at all.
(2) I suppose the 2nd sub was in your .sav-file the first time? (You didn't mention that.)
(3) Sofar you've also still not mentioned the location of your bsplay.sav file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
(a) I don't use subs folder, I am placing the subtitles in the movie folder.
(b) SAV file it's located in users/myname/appdata/roaming/bsplayer pro folder.
(c) The two subtitles were in movie folder, one with RUM and one with EN.
(a-b-c added by me) Just for the record:
(a) and (c) concern additional information.
(b) is the info requested for under (3) [so our situations differ at that point]
(2) still remains without an answer (I just want to be 100% sure; you didn't mention that here).

Quote:
I believe we could write here, as some bugs are inconsistent to me and some are, that this version have some HUGE issues.
I quite agree!
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Now, it's geting weirder

Movie loaded. Enabled secondary subtitle, and selected the english one. Checked if the scrit remains as CE, it does. Closed BS.Player and restarted the movie. Now, the primary subtitle font reversed to the default Arial yellow. But also the subtitle was the ENG one, not the romanian, so it's somehow normal to have the font changed. Checked the SAV file, both subtitles were mentioned, but referng to the same file (ENG).
Changed the primary subtitle back to the romanian, SAV file is now

Code:

[D:\utorrent\Ghost Whisperer Season 3\Ghost Whisperer 0304 - No Safe Place.avi]
date=1291502254
WinSize=909x513
WinPos=32x31
aspect=1,77272727272727
subfile1=D:\utorrent\Ghost Whisperer Season 3\Ghost Whisperer 0304 - No Safe Place - RUM.srt
Panscanw=0
Panscanf=0
mpos=9014
mstat=2
subfile2=D:\utorrent\Ghost Whisperer Season 3\Ghost Whisperer 0304 - No Safe Place - ENG.srt
Loaded again the movie, works OK with two subtitles.
Disabled secondary subtitle, closed BS.Player. SAV file, the same, with 2 subtitles mentioned.
Re-opened BS.Player, secondary subtitles...showing up.

OK, do you want even weirder than that ?
Swiched to old engine......secondary subtiles on display

Same thing, done few hours ago, different results
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

At this point, I may assume that, like BSPeter posted above, even loaded subtitles are sometimes not saved, not just the manually loaded ones, but that ads more fog to the situation.
CE bug still unconfirmed....yet....who knows what will happn in the morning.
Old 4th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Loaded again the movie, works OK with two subtitles.
Disabled secondary subtitle, closed BS.Player. SAV file, the same, with 2 subtitles mentioned.
Re-opened BS.Player, secondary subtitles...showing up.

OK, do you want even weirder than that ?
Swiched to old engine......secondary subtiles on display ...
So it's reasonably safe to say that you've now experienced the same as I. Secondary subs, once having been saved, cannot be removed in a regular way.
That they also show up using old engine doesn't surprise me, as the fault is in the remember settings file.
Old 6th December 2010
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road

Will be fixed in todays new build.
Old 7th December 2010
BS.Player Master

Bug with "remember settings"-file seems fixed in version 2.57.1050.

Tags
overlaping, secondary, subtitles